Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My mom's cousin, Paula


So my mom's cousin, Paula, is going through chemo too for breast cancer. She actually had cancer a few years ago and then it came back. She had done chemo and radiation and it came back. The first time, she had a lumpectomy and now she had a double mastectomy. She's actually going to the same oncologist as me.


I called her and she said that she paid for the genetic testing for the BRCA gene and she has the gene. So now I can get the genetic testing for a fraction of the cost since my relative got it done already. (If you're the first of your family to get the genetic testing, it costs about $3,000 out of pocket, if your insurance doesn't pay for it)


But what scares me is the fact that she had cancer, went through all the adjuvant therapy and it CAME BACK. I need to be prepared that it just might come back on me too, especially if I carry the gene.


All of my relatives can get the genetic test for about $300 (if the insurance doesn't pay for it) since Paula did it for the family. That was really awesome of her.

No comments: