Friday, January 11, 2008

16 weeks of Chemo Hell officially OVER....








This morning I finished my last Taxol treatment. Hurray! I feel really awesome. I am superwoman!


Here is a picture of me - please forgive the weight gain - I'm not normally this heavy, but the steroids they've put me on swells me up and increases my appetite - in addition to the stress about the other things going on, chocolate cake has been my best friend. And NOW, I have to start back to the gym and it'll be interesting to see people's reactions when I take off my hat and get on exercise equipment with a bald head....although my hair has started growing back - a teeny amount, so I still look bald from a couple of feet away. My hair is coming in blonde and fuzzy. And my left eyebrow is 60% drawn on...On my picture, you will see the IV going into my port under my shirt on my right side. It's either a port or they have to stick you on your veins in your arm. The port has been a breeze.

The other picture is of the chemo room- as you can see, the chairs are lined up right next to each other and so you talk with the other patients about their experiences and it's truly an eye-opener.

Last treatment (my 7th out of 8), I sat across from a woman who had had breast cancer 12 years ago in her mid-40s and it metastisized to her bones and she said that once she had a bone scan done, the results looked like a Christmas tree in her whole body. It was EVERYWHERE. She had originally chosen not to have chemo. And I thought, "that is exactly WHY I'm having chemo." There's no cure if the cancer metastisizes to another part of your body. You basically have breast cancer in your bones or breast cancer in your liver, etc.

This time, I sat across from a lady who is in my ward and she's in her mid-60s and has been diagnosed with lymphoma. Which is pretty much everywhere in her body. She is having 24 weeks (6 months) worth of chemo and she's a widow, alone. They gave her only a year to live if she didn't do chemo. My eyes have been totally opened with my experience. Once we're back on our feet financially, I will always be trying to give back to the cancer society as a whole.

Anyway, we are going to celebrate tonight with....drum roll please..... chocolate cake!

I'm super happy and super proud of myself and today's a great day.

I'll have to tell you about the lawyer meeting we had yesterday, but I don't want to dwell on Jana today. But more exciting developments have been made.

Peace out~

1 comment:

Christina said...

You are AMAZING!!!!! Enjoy your CAKE!!!!!