Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Genetic testing update

Did you know that if you are a BRCA Mutation Carrier, your risks for cancer are:

Breast Cancer: BRCA Mutation:56% - 87% General Population: 7%

Ovarian Cancer: BRCA Mutation: 27% - 44% General Population: <2%

Male Breast Cancer: BRCA Mutation: 6% General Population: 0.05%

Second Primary Breast Cancer (cancer on the other side) : BRCA Mutation: 48% - 64% General Population: 2% - 11%



The oncology nurses drew my blood on Friday and sent it in for a genetic test to see if I have the BRCA mutation.


My mom’s cousin, Paula, has the mutation.


She has had recurring breast cancer. The first time she got cancer, she had a lumpectomy (like me), chemo (like me-different drugs, though), and radiation. And then it came back. So she had a mastectomy (and told them to take the other side too) and chemo. She had the same oncologist as me.


The genetic test costs $3,500. But it’s cheaper if someone in your family already has a known mutation. Then it’s about $300.



AND my oncologist has a connection with a genetic testing facility as an alternative to the one we sent my blood too. Basically, we told them to see if my insurance will cover it and if they don’t, my oncologist said that this other facility will do it for free since I have a HUGE family history of breast cancer and since I’m so young and was pregnant – the oncologist said that my case is so unusual, that a lot of people will want to study my genetics for free. We’ll hear back from the first genetic place this week to see if they are going to charge me, then we’ll go from there.

P.S. I'm having another surgery on Friday - to get my Port-a-cath out.

2 comments:

Christina said...

WOW!!! Perfect "case study" material! ;) That would be great if you didn't have to pay for your testing! I hope all goes well with getting your port out! It's a simple surgery right? They just go in and take it out...right?

C'est Moi said...

Yes, this should be a very easy surgery! I'm so eager to get this weird thing out of my body!